Monday, June 07, 2004

Cool and comfortable


I'm sitting here half naked (don't get your knickers in a twist -- I'm wearing a bra top and shorts) and the sky outside is cobalt blue with big fluffy clouds touring slowly overhead. The breeze thru the trees is deliciously cool without being cold and the sun is deceptively mild. A few minutes too many out on the deck and I'd be toast.

I left the bedroom window open all the way last night and this morning was awakened by the sound of a lark or some other warbler singing. I think spring finally made it to the mountains. The air is redolent with the scents of growing things and flowers carried on the breeze. The aspens are lime green and bursting with leaves. The stark landscape of winter is blurred by the spring dress rehearsal for summer. The deck sparkles with fool's gold dust and soon will be green with pine pollen. It is a beautiful day and I feel restless.

I want to drink all this in before the coming of winter again, which will be all too soon here in the mountains. I need the chuckle of a mountain stream tripping over rocks and the buzz of industrious bees gathering nectar and pollen. I need action and activity and a change of scenery. I want to go to the desert and soak up the dust of the ancients, walk in their footsteps and climb tumbled boulders to the summit and into the warrens of pueblo indians tending fires and life.

But I'll settle for having the R&T website working again so I can move on. Maybe that is the restlessness I feel--the need to be on about my work and my life.

In the meantime, if anyone is interesting in tapping the tree for the sap of knowledge, check out the classes at Scribe & Quill and join in the fun.

No comments: