Friday, April 08, 2005

Heading up the trail


It's settled. I've decided to hike the Appalachian Trail (AT) in 2007. And I'm not going alone either. I've talked a friend into going up with me. We're going to start training, saving up the money, and working out all the logistics between now and 2007 when we will begin our hike.

I've been toying with the idea seriously for a while now and I know it's something I want to do, but after reading all those trails journals and especially Big Red's trail journal I've decided that this is something I not only CAN do but I MUST do.

I'd rather start next year, but my companion needs more time to arrange things and arrange for a leave of absence from his job. I can wait that long, especially since we'll be hiking a lot between now and then and getting comfortable with each other's trail habits on weekend hikes.

Can you tell I'm stoked?

So to Wingfoot at Trail Place I say, if your idea was to keep us novices off the AT you are doing a really lousy job, and what cinched it for me was not only Bryson's A Walk in the Woods but your elitist attitude. Catch me if you can. This sleeper has awakened.


No comments: