Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Negativity flies


I know it sounds all new age, but I am still amazed at people who are always so negative and never get why they have so much trouble. It's not big things like their kids breaking a limb or losing their job or anything like that, but little things like the car breaking down suddenly or finding a mustard stain on your favorite blouse right before meeting someone for dinner or an interview. It's like iron filings to a magnet or flies to a manure pile, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. That would seem to indicate that negativity would create the opposite reaction of positivity, but it doesn't.

I know lots of people who seldom, if ever, think a negative thought, like who is the most positive and optimistic person I know. He never has anything bad to say about anyone and even when he has a negative moment he checks himself and remembers how good he has it and that he has so much more to be thankful for.

There are times when I think I'm going to fail or someone doesn't like me, but then I remember how good I have it and how many times I have fallen only to land on my feet. I'm not rich. I'm not famous. I'm not beautiful. I am very blessed. No matter where the path has led (and it has led to some very dark places over the years) I have always been able to find the light. I'm just realizing that my optimistic attitude has been the main reason why I have always come out all right.

We can't keep negative things from happening in our lives, but we can lessen their impact and reduce their numbers by a positive attitude, find the good in any given situation. It takes practice because negativity is a powerful force, much like a black hole or that pile of manure attracting the flies. In a very silly way it is like Yoda and Darth Vader with the force and the dark side of the force, and we know who won that battle in the end.

I'll shut up now.

No comments: