Thursday, May 04, 2006

I have now officially crossed over into...


...crazy lady territory.

I listen to a country station and every time I hear them advertising their station I cringe with that fingernails-on-the-blackboard, biting-on-tin-foil feeling. The offending sentence?


We have less commercials.

LESS!?! ARGH!!!!

Today I had had enough and I called the station and asked for the advertising manager. I explained why I was calling and that the line should be: We have FEWER commercials. He told me that it's a nationwide promotion that goes with their "Less is More" promotion and that "fewer is more" doesn't work.

Excuse me? It isn't about what goes with an advertising tag line. It's about correct grammar. In addition to the degradation of the English language now the language is under attack by advertising execs who change grammar to suit their campaigns. ARGH!!!!?!?!!!

Right before he hung up the phone I heard his heavy sigh and the snarky smirking laugh when he told me he would pass my suggestion along. He didn't sound as old as my own children.

I didn't intend to venture into crazy lady territory but their web site didn't give a link, suggestion box or email for me to use and I was forced to call and speak to a real person because I couldn't stand hearing the commercial one more time without saying something.

The older I get the more I realize that life is too short to live with regrets and things not done. I may seem like a crazy lady (anonymously since I didn't give and he didn't ask my name) but I'm glad I called and said something. That call is one less thing for me to regret.

No comments: