Friday, August 25, 2006

Have camera will shoot


The sky was clear and blue in spots and the mountains outside my office window were fast disappearing behind a thickening gauzy veil of white, charcoal grey around the edges. It was going to storm and storm hard. I had to go to the store to get some food (apples, lemons, walnuts, celery, raisins, a few Marie Callender's) and decided to chance it. At the last minute as I was tying up the garbage sack I decided to take the camera, too. I didn't know what I'd find to shoot but it was worth taking anyway. I'm glad I did.

When I came out of the store with my two canvas bags full of food the sky was full of clouds, the air full of muttering and rumbling. I stashed my bags on a handy pylon and took out the camera. I started shooting, ignoring the people walking in front of me and running for shelter or calling for help on their cell phones. I just kept shooting. I didn't get a picture of lightning but I did get a lot of other pictures. I braved the rain with my broken wiper blade and when I got home I sat in the car until it was over. Looking through the rainy windshield I couldn't resist take pictures of Nel's peas in a pod hanging from the roof. The whole thing looked like it was melting in the pictures and I was curious about how it would turn out.

Today isn't the only day I played with the camera. Last night while I was working I took out the camera and shot some dusk shots out the window in my office while I was waiting for work to download. I admit I'm getting addicted to taking pictures I can crop and resize and edit in some way so they look better than if I had just shot them with a 35mm camera. I do have to keep from moving the camera until the shot shows up on the screen, but I'm learning. My favorite shot is a dusk silhouette of the mountain and the mountain through the windows.

Playing around with effects though can be a lot of fun and I think this may be the one I enjoyed playing with the most. The storm shows up so much better.

Hope you enjoyed the show.

That is all. Disperse.

No comments: