Thursday, October 05, 2006

A writer's life for me


I have been so busy with work I have not had a lot of time to write and I have a ton of writing to do. I have articles to finish and books to read and review and more books come in each day. I wonder how all these authors got my name and email. It's probably due to being a reviewer for Author Link for the past 3-1/2 years and now reviewing for The Celebrity Cafe. I review for other sites, too, but I've worked with Author Link the longest. Good thing there is a library close by because I donate the books authors send me to the library. Some of the good ones I share with friends.

The funny thing is that I try to discourage authors by telling them how long my review list is but they are willing to wait -- even when I cannot in good conscience give them a good review. Reviews are only a small part of my writing but they do help pay the bills. In fact, my boss at Author Link emailed me on Monday with a laundry list of books she wants me to put on the fast track. That means putting the other books on hold until I get these done. Good thing I'm on vacation next week so I can catch up on my reading. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch up on my writing, too. I need to finish four stories for anthologies I've been asked to contribute to and I have to finish the editing on my book or I'll miss my deadline. I also want to finish writing the current book and get a little sleep. At least I don't have to drive anywhere next week since my mother and sisters are renting a car. I can sit in the front seat and read, especially if Carol is driving, so I don't have to worry about getting hit until after it happens. Nothing like an impending crash to unsettle my concentration.

I feel a little harried these days with everything on my plate, but I keep thinking about the pay-off. No more life as a wage slave.

Last week, I took a walk down into Old Colorado City with Pastor because I needed to get out and away from work and writing and everything else. I needed to smell the roses even though they are blown. Bancroft Park is just two blocks from here and it's a little haven of trees and grass and flowers no matter what time of year it is. Old Colorado City has quite a few little festivals throughout the year and October is the month for Scarecrow Days. Tourists from Iowa with their dead daughter's dog, Muffy were more interested in the ice cream at the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory than in the beautiful pansies and flowers. I was more interested in the sights and sounds and a closer view of snow-capped Pikes Peak than I had when I was at the grocery store staring at its beautiful snowy face in the Indian summer sunshine.

That is all. Disperse.

No comments: