Wednesday, November 15, 2006

At last!


The last few edits are done. The manuscript is back in its original format and off to the publisher. Now I wait.

In 10 minutes I have to get out of my comfy nest in bed and get ready for another work day. I'd rather curl up here and go back to sleep. It's cold outside and some time during the night a light dusting of snow covered everything. The snow is already off the streets but the rooftops are white and glitter in the sunshine. There is a curiously brittle look to the naked tree limbs and they glisten as though covered with ice. A chill creeps through past the windows and sends shivers over my exposed arms. The rest of me is warm and cozy and safe beneath the covers. I don't want to get up. I don't want to have to face another 12 hours of doctors. I want to read a book and nibble on the turkey I baked last night.

The whole house smells of cloves and spices and caramelized maple. I decided to try something different since I've sworn off breads and cereals for a while. I peeled and sliced some yams, marinated them in dark organic maple syrup and stuffed the turkey with them. The result was pretty good, since that is what I had for breakfast nearly three hours ago. I'd eat some more but I can't afford to go back to sleep, much as I want to do just that.

Oh, well, time to be a responsible wage-earning adult and put in my shift for slave wages. I suppose there are worse things--like sleeping under an over pass in this weather or bedding down in a noisy shelter on a sway-backed cot under a scratchy blanket. First a shower and then work.

That is all. Disperse.

No comments: