Wednesday, November 05, 2008

And now a word from the apologists


I've received several emails from Obama supporters congratulating themselves and Obama on the win last night. Every one of them contain the same final line. "Remember that Obama is only one man and cannot do everything. He is only human."

When I read that I think of the past eight years, and most especially the past four, and it strikes me no one said, "Remember that President Bush is only one man and cannot do everything." Instead, President Bush became the nation and the world's scapegoat for everything that was wrong. It didn't matter where the trouble originated, President Bush got the blame. No one paid attention to all the lands President Bush preserved and set aside as untouchable by developers and ecological rapists. No one remembers the good things President Bush did. He was only one man but he carried the onus of the world on his shoulders and no one reminded us that he is only human.

Considering the legacy that Democratic presidents have left us and Republican presidents to fix, I sincerely hope that Obama doesn't let you all down and prove to be the man the rest of us believe he is. I pray he does not leave us another Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac mess as Clinton did. I pray he does not lead us deeper into a Welfare abyss like Johnson and Carter. I pray he does not lead us from Iraq to mire us indefinitely in Afghanistan the way Kennedy and Johnson led us into a never ending civil war in Vietnam. I pray he does not cut off Israel and leave them for the jackals and hyenas of Iran when we need a strong ally in the Middle East the most. I pray he does not destroy the economy by his plans to spread the wealth around by stealing from the rich to give to the poor. I pray he does not marginalize any American in his desire to connect with his roots. I pray that he does not bring about a civilian military force and supports the standing military forces that have kept this country and all Americans safe and strong. I pray Obama is not the one who will bring tears and fear to the hearts of those who saw in him a voice for change and that the change you believe he brings does not bring you to your knees.

As for me, I learned how to duck and cover when I was a child growing up in the 1950s and again in the 1960s when Kennedy brought us to the bring of nuclear disaster with Cuba one October, and I pray I never have to use it to kiss my backside goodbye.

That is all. Disperse.

No comments: