Tuesday, January 12, 2010

It only counts when spelled correctly


Off to a running start this morning after a night of almost good sleep. Now that's the way to start a day.

I received notice that one of my blog posts, Ride the Avalanche or be Buried was picked up and posted on twitter this morning. As flattered as I was, I did have to tell him he spelled my last name wrong. I don't understand how someone can read Cornwell and get Cromwell. Oh, well, at least they got the title and the link correct. That's something. I'm not irritated, but I am a little uncomfortable with having to thank the gentleman for commenting and cross-posting and then having to tell him he made a mistake, a rather big mistake. Oh, well, at least it was tweeted for a few minutes, if incorrectly.

For those of you turning in late, the post is about Jonathan Galassi's contention that William Styron's heirs do not have the right to sell digital rights to another publisher using the copyrighted manuscript published by Random House and created in concert with their editor and publishing staff. I also mentioned that the cost of e-books is far out of line and should be scaled back drastically, but you can read it for yourself, if you're interested.

I posted my review of Paris Under Water by Jeffrey H. Jackson on the 1910 flood and I must admit I was not looking forward to reading the book when I got it. I was, as is sometimes the case, surprised and pleased with the book. I've also marked it up and made notes in the margins, a sure sign that this book will impact future reading and may even end up in a blog post at some point. I enjoyed the way Jackson used contemporary sources and anecdotal material to make Paris under siege by the Seine come alive and how strategically placed photographs of the period were used to highlight and illustrate some of the more poignant and telling moments. The epilogue was quite revealing and, while I expected Jackson to go into environmental and blaming mode, he did not. Instead he put judgment aside and relied on facts and quotes from people on site at the time to point toward the future. I do wonder, however, if, like Cassandra of Troy, his prophecies will go unheeded and unremarked while the future unfolds as he sees it. Paris Under Water is definitely worth reading and re-reading.

I also booked my vacation next month and am looking eagerly forward to spending a sybaritic week (thank you, Mary Ann, for that image) reading, relaxing, toasting my toes in front of the fireplace and generally doing nothing remotely work related.

Right now, I'm off to shower, dress and get to work. It is another weekday after all.

That is all. Disperse.

No comments: