Sunday, March 28, 2010

Broadcast news


If you didn't get a chance to hear me live on Internet Voices Radio Friday night, here's your chance to listen to the mp3 file.

I was surprised, despite a bit of stage fright, that I actually enjoyed reading the excerpt from Past Imperfect. It has been a long time since I did anything remotely theatrical, other than the screams of terror when I wake up in the morning and remember I didn't do the dishes the night before or find a volcano of dough has covered the top and front of the stove where I put it to warm two hours before. I have confined my theatrics to my small and intimately isolated stage here in the cottage. I had forgotten how good it felt to get into the character and just go with it. I could've used a bit more rehearsal, definitely more than a 10-minute read-through to see how many pages I could read in ten minutes, especially since I found out that emotion takes time and I didn't get as far as I had just reading. I'll have to keep that in mind for the next time.

After Friday night's performance and talking once again with the station manager, I began considering her previous offer to host my own show, a show of authors reading and discussing their books and getting into some of the tricks and treats of the writing trade. I'm still muddling it over and haven't made a decision, but I'm definitely leaning in that direction. I always enjoyed my time treading the boards and getting into character. In a sense, writers are actors, too; they get into the minds and hearts of the characters they create -- that is if they are good writers and not just going through the motions -- and act out all the parts in their head, or on their own private stage when they read their work aloud to edit, something Mark Twain suggested for clarity and to hear the music of the spoken words.

At any rate, let the heckling begin. I had a good time, mistakes and all, and I will definitely do it again.

That is all. Disperse.

No comments: