Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Snow and Blood on the Moon

It has been a while since I posted anything really personal. Time to change the pattern.

Winter definitely is not through with us here in Colorado Springs yet as is clearly evident.



Nothing like snow the first day after spring and again on Sunday. I hope that means the drought is over for us and the snow pack in the mountains is at high levels. One can only hope.


Beanie thinks it is funny when I say I live surrounding by parking lot, but it is true. There must have been a lot of business at that little building on the right, or maybe they had a lot of family visiting and wanted plenty of parking that wouldn't end up as a muddy swamp the way my parents' house looked in Hilliard every time it rained on the day we had a family get-together. The only problem is that the parking lot is usually filled morning and afternoon with parents dropping off and picking up their kids from the middle school across the road. That would be far to the left of these pictures.

That's a corner of the deck and this picture was taken very early in the morning before the people started roaring down the streets. It is lovely in a way and I never have to worry about shoveling the walks because there are none.

Last night's blood moon was my first opportunity to watch a lunar eclipse. There have been 3 or 4 visible here in Colorado since I moved here, but the weather has always been lousy for viewing. It was cold and clear last night at the start of the festivities. 



I sat on the toilet and took pictures out the bathroom window. This was the start of the event.



Though far away, the moon began to pass under the Earth's shadow and it was lovely. I don't have a good enough camera to catch the nuances of color, like the blood that spread over the shining face of the moon, but it was at least proof I watched.



By manipulating the photos after I downloaded them to my computer, the background got fuzzier and the moon did too, but at least it is there. I was too early to see the high point when the moon was completely bloody.




Still fuzzy from manipulating, but definitely farther along. This was at the height of the eclipse.
My battery ran down at that point and I couldn't get another clear picture until I hunted up new batteries.By then, the eclipse was over, but I saw most of it. Another first.

That is all. Disperse.

No comments: