Saturday, October 19, 2019

Integrity matters


I actually care about the environment and about ecology, but I was reminded recently by BB that being poor as I am I need to protect myself and that I can afford to not put my health or the environment first.

The thing is that BB is wrong and I can afford to care about the environment especially and being poor does not give me carte blanche where the environment, ecology, and my health are concerned. Just because I am poor and have to live on a small fixed income does not give me an out where my responsibilities lie. That is where we all as humans continue to fail where our planet and our responsibility to humanity and people begin and end.

I think being poor is how we got into this situation in the first place. It is the reverse of tomorrow or let someone else do it; they can afford it.

With that kind of thinking, nothing would ever be done and Mother Theresa would never have gone to Calcutta to take care of the poor and minister to the poor of Calcutta. Well, Mother Theresa is dead and has been declared a saint so she is out of this world and out of the problems we face every day.

I did take my cousin's advice and put my poor talents on Indeed to get a job. I had my first face-to-face interview yesterday, the first in over two years, and may well have a job where I first started out at McDonald's down the street. I can walk there in about 15 minutes and so can work whenever they need me to work since I live nearby. My interviewer asked if I had reliable transportation. I responded by telling her my feet worked and I lived nearby ... within sight of their store. That is pretty reliable -- my shoedebakers -- my feet.

She asked my strengths and weaknesses (always a difficult question for me) and I responded, "Jumping in without knowing my limitations." It is true, although I could have responded that I tend to get caught up in whatever I'm doing and do not keep a check on the time, which is also true. I often tend to be late because I have everything planned out in my head while the time slips away. I also tend to imagine I can do anything and then find out I cannot follow through, which is the problem with my bike. I will have to adjust the seat again to make certain I can take the best advantage of the height so my knees do not lock up on me. I get around quite well with walking as long as I take my quad cane with me to keep from falling and ending up a traffic statistic. I walk facing traffic, but with my bike I need to ride with the traffic and obey the traffic laws. Walking is the opposite of biking, something I need to remember. I appreciate and love the bicycle a local bike shop owner gifted me, but that was before I figured out I still did not have the bicycle in perfect running condition. The handlebars still sink with the least amount of pressure which the bike shop said would not happen unless I leaned on the handlebars when I was standing up riding -- NOT TRUE. They still lean with the least amount of pressure and are not safe for me when I do get the handlebars fixed permanently, which I must do. There is always something. When everything is finally fixed to my satisfaction.

I had envisioned myself biking to the Senior Center, going to job interviews, to the library, and tomorrow or all the other excuses to put off my responsibility; it is about me and about what I can do now, today, and without funds. I will find a way to make my imagination coincide with my reality.
shopping; none of which has come true. I'm still concerned about the eco-friendly bicycle versus the gasoline-powered vehicles that come and pick me up to go to the Senior Center, the library, the store, and to appointments. Yes, BB, I am poor and do not have access to my own gasoline-powered vehicle, but I still care about the fuel powering those vehicles at any rate. Yes, I am poor, but I still care about my carbon footprint and the impact on the environment. I am poor, but I still care about the environment and still believe that a bicycle-powered composting service in this community is still workable and one I can still participate in. For me, it is not about

That is all. Disperse.




No comments: