Monday, April 11, 2005

Old friends


After talking to Big Red so much and since he's from Cincinnati and reminded me of an old friend, I decided to look him up last night. I found him. He's still at the same house. He's not doing the same old things though.

We talk for about an hour and he told me he's gone back to college, finished up his BA, and is on the track to finish his Master's in history of all things. He went to Paris last year with his fellow students and was accosted 4x by a Bosnian refugee who was so busy cadging change from Americans that she didn't recognize him. That in itself is funny. Jerry is well over six feet tall and is a very big guy. Hard to miss and hard to forget. She hit him up when he got off the plane at Orly, in front of the Eiffel tower, in front of the Arc de Triomphe, and again in front of his hotel when he finally said in reply to her, "Monsieur, do you speak English?" -- NYET! The group called her his little Bosnian girlfriend. Can't take him anywhere without the girls crowding around him like he was Paul McCartney or Bono.

Anyway, we got caught up -- sort of -- and he talked in a low voice, which told me his wife Jan was nearby and still does not like me. It's not that she is immune to my sparkling personality, but that Jerry and I hit it off the first time we met, as if we'd always known each other, and considering she got Jerry from her best friend (who I assume is no longer her best friend) who was married to him at the time, she still sees me as a rival. I'm sure it didn't help her like me any better when she found out I was the artist responsible for putting her head on Raquel Welch's semi-clad body either. Suffice it to say I think Jerry could do better and she just wants me to fall off the edge of the earth so I can't take him away from her, not that I'd do something like that. I enjoy Jerry's friendship and I adore him as a person, but I do not want a target painted on my back or forehead and have to look over my shoulder for the rest of my life.

It's good to renew old friendships. I'm glad Big Red reminded me about Jerry.

That is all for now. Disperse.

No comments: