Sunday, May 14, 2006

Wet mornings and warm thoughts


Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers on the list, and all the women who mother children.

My best friend from high school emailed me this morning with Mother's Day wishes for me since, as she said, it's doubtful my kids would do anything. She's right about that, especially now that my oldest, David Scott, has joined the enclave in South Carolina with his brothers and half brother. I'm sure he won't forget to celebrate his father's wife though; she wouldn't have it any other way.

Honestly though, I didn't think about it being Mother's Day today. All I thought about was getting up to check my Doctor Who download so I could watch Rise of the Cybermen. I had a little glitch when I deleted the download from my queue and couldn't find the downloaded episode at first. I started writing to the Evil One to see if he would be nice enough to just send me the downloaded file he downloaded yesterday evening and then I decided to use my brain and not panic. I found the file and settled comfortably in bed to watch the episode, which was far too short for my taste.

The creator of the cybermen is John Lubic, played ably by Roger Lloyd Pack who says he based the character of Lubic on Donald Rumsfeld, "...a power-hungry mad person who believes he is completely right and has a lot of control[.]" Pack looked familiar to me, but he would since he also played Bartemius Crouch, Sr. in last year's Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Yes, I am definitely addicted to Doctor Who and I have finally gotten over my dislike of David Tennant, the latest incarnation of The Doctor, and his over-the-top melodramatic acting style (which has calmed down a lot) and that tongue thing from the HP movie. He's actually quite appealing. Interesting though to see the father and son dynamic from HP repeated in a sense in the latest Doctor Who episode as Tennant and Lumic square off as opponents once again, but this time the shoe is on the other foot.

No comments: