Sunday, October 15, 2006

Gifts that keep on giving


Mom was sick the entire time she was here, but she said it wasn't the altitude, despite the fact the same thing happened the last time she was here. Beanie sneezed and snotted the whole time. She thought it was because of Kittysocks next door. I don't have an allergy to cats but the last few days Beanie was here I sneezed and snotted. I seldom get sick. I've been sick all weekend with fever and insomnia and alternating bloody and snotty nose. Between the fever and going to the bathroom every 20-30 minutes (happens when I have a fever) I didn't get any sleep. I dozed from time to time sitting upright because I couldn't breathe otherwise. All in all, a wonderful gift from my family and one I can't return.

I did get some more good news this weekend. The new editor at Byline Magazine bought one of my articles. Two more anthologies have picked up stories I submitted and I got a tentative yes on another anthology. I need to do a little pruning, but otherwise it looks like I have another sale. Not too bad for working in a little writing during the week.

With the way is going I am going to have to pay off on my offer to cover a contest entry fee. I am happy about that. I haven't seen the stories but I know she's working hard and coming up with a lot of writing. That's good enough for me. I have thought about putting together a fund to help writers pay contest entry fees. Writers sometimes need one less excuse to keep writing and submitting.

I enter the odd contest here and there but I mostly submit my work to paying markets. With the raise I got from Author Link last month for reviews I write for them I am slowly but surely increasing my writing income. I still can't believe I've been a staff reviewer for Author Link for over three years now. Times goes by so quickly. So quickly in fact that it's nearly time for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month to all you nonwriter types). I plan to finish one book and maybe even get another one at least halfway finished before the end of November. Two more books for me to send out and make the rounds. I did promise one editor that I would give them first look since they're publishing my book on Andre Norton in 2008. I may even see if I can buy back my biobibliography on Charlton Heston from the publisher who originally bought it to see if I can update it and sell it elsewhere. The publisher who bought the book was bought out by another publisher who shelved the series. It wouldn't take much work to do the update. They might not allow me to buy the rights but it's worth a shot.

I foresee a very busy winter if I can just get rid of this sinus problem and get some rest. Lots of work to keep me busy. Photographs to take, cemeteries to visit, books to write and edit and books to read and review. No matter how many times I tell authors how long it will take before I can review their books they tell me they're willing to wait, however long it takes. I have a lot of books to get through already and I certainly don't lack for reading material.

On that note, it's time for me to get back to it.

That is all. Disperse.

No comments: