Tuesday, April 22, 2008

And it's only Tuesday


As of 2:30 this afternoon, the lease on my new place will be signed and I will be one step closer to moving, one step closer to my dream. It's a short step, but a step nonetheless. I picked up the money this morning when I went out to buy some groceries.

When I fired up the work computer and signed in to my email, I had a surprise waiting. I had inadvertently used Muslin instead of Muslim in a review I emailed last night. I check these things, but sometimes I miss little details, kind of like my supervisor spelling my name wrong so that a review doesn't show up when I do a search. It's not a big deal. However, what she added to the email was a big deal.

Our boss, the owner of Author Link, Doris Booth, read the two reviews and liked what she saw in the review on Jon Land's latest novel, The Seven Sins and she sent it to Jon Land and his PR person. Less than 10 minutes later his reply and Doris's comments were forwarded to to me with the subject line: "Praise for Jackie Cornwell". Here is a copy of the original email.

* * * *


Hey,
Look what Doris got back from the author of Seven Sins.

Thanks,
Elaine


> DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
> d=airmail.net; s=dktest; h=From:To:Subject:Date:Message-ID:
> MIME-Version:Content-Type; bh=LcG8SjXyv5W6KHuiZ4lLHxuBrFQGzinay7
> H2bw/gEoo=; b=UPC8gtjQbxeQo+ZGzbKeGuf9xP/+XAOgT8mOQtrDcM1dkEU8MX
> 6KsJQWbGTrRZ1XIGTJa8D7qxc9qZ7ioXvmnOCgC8LyPTSVGa57nIVI/BFWZ5caKY
> KwQzGxEbXNfG77
> From: "Doris Booth"
> To: "'Elaine Lanmon'"
> Subject: Praise for Jackie Cornwell
> Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 11:12:57 -0500
> X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook 11
> Thread-Index: Acikk7i+rkWKzaj3QumPRi4dTFOsuA==
> X-Chzlrs: 0
> X-Spam-Level: 0/7
> X-FS-Classification-spam: 0
> X-FS-Diagnostics: database-version=2008-04-15 tests=WHITELISTED,FS_CLASS_SPAM_0
>
> Elaine, please pass along Jon Land's comment to Jackie Cornwell, along with my own. Jackie is terrific!
>
> Doris:
>
> What a great review! And I say that not just because it was so positive, but also because of the excellent writing and the reviewer's clear grasp of the subject matter. Kudos to whoever that person is!
>
> Jon
>
> Doris
>
>
> Doris Booth
> Editor-in-Chief Authorlink.com
> Manager, Authorlink Literary Group
>
> dbooth@authorlink.com
> (972) 402-0101
> Fax: 866-381-1587
> www.authorlink.com
> http://www.authorlink.blogspot.com

* * * *


To say the least, I was flabbergasted and I'm still doing a great imitation of the Cheshire cat. It's really great to know that an author appreciates my writing, but even better to be told I got what they intended. It's happened before, and from very well known authors, but seeing it myself and not hearing it second hand, just makes my week, and probably my month. I've not reviewed any of Jon Land's books before, but I will definitely look out for the sequel to this book. I couldn't put the book down. The book isn't due out until June 2008, but look for it if you like a fast-paced tale of intrigue with complex characters.

After everything I've been through in the past few weeks, it's like a little signpost on the path that tells me I'm going in the right direction and the little bumps and pot holes don't matter.

That is all. Disperse.

No comments: