Sunday, August 03, 2008

Belated birthday bash


Last night, the cottage was full of light and laughter, conversation and food. Nel, who used to live across the hall from me, and her sister DJ, Michael, Kim and some of Nel's friends came over for a belated birthday party, belated only because Nel's birthday was Thursday. Last night was more convenient for everyone. Dinner and a simple dessert of a layered cake with lemon curd between the layers and a simple lemon icing lasted about as long as snow on a hot August night and there was wine, beer and shots to drink, as well as lemonade, iced tea and water, most of which is still here.

This party was planned three months ago when I moved but last night was the first time everyone saw the cottage without all the boxes lying around. I could have used another bathroom, but we still had a great time, although a couple people mentioned me getting a stereo to play the music instead of my computer. After the food was gone and the presents opened, most of the crowd left and Kim, DJ, Nel, Michael and I kicked back and caught up while we sipped wine and Nel and Michael did shots of whiskey. Good thing they didn't have far to go to get home.

I got up early this morning to put all the glasses and dishes in the dishwasher and clean the worst of the debris, but there remains a feeling of revelry in the air. We made plans for DJ and Michael's birthdays in October and November and a Yule party in December and everyone's coming back here. It's a far cry from our usual quiet parties when Nel and I lived across the hall from each other, but there's much more room here and plenty of parking space to accommodate the crowds. And I got to meet some new people, people who were only names and to whom I can now attach faces and voices.

It's cool and quiet outside right now with a faint cool breeze that will dwindle as the sun rises higher in the sky to scorch everything and suck the green out of the grass. A cold shower is just what I need to perk myself up before diving back into work and laundry today, but I don't mind. I'm glad of a little calm after the storm of conversation last night.

That is all. Disperse.

No comments: