Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Off and running



National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo for those in the know) began this morning and I began by editing and commenting on a friend's story. It's a really good story that could be better. I see some of the things I used to do when I first started writing seriously. I should say when I first started seriously writing fiction. Books and writers tell you to show and not tell but they never really tell you how. By editing other people's work I learned how to explain it better and how to understand it better. Nothing like taking someone else's words and showing how they tell and don't show.

I'm sure none of you is interested in writing talk but for the next 30 days while I struggle to write 50,000 words before the end of the month (and most likely more than 50K) I will be talking and writing about writing. For now, I'm off to the bathroom to take care of some business and take a shower before I plunge into another day full of paying work.

That is all. Disperse.

No comments: